Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tempted

So yesterday I stopped by my local sewing machine shop, where I purchased my Janome last fall, to drop off my old Kenmore sewing machine for a tune-up.  I tried to use the machine over the weekend to teach my sister to sew (Hi sister, I know you're out there, dreaming about more chicken saddles! :P) and it had some obvious tension problems.  No matter what I set the tension at, the bobbin thread was always showing through to the top side of the fabric.  So off to the store I trotted to get it fixed as I need it for a sew-in the modern quilt guild is having in a few weeks.

Well, in talking to my sewing machine guy about the machine, I asked him some questions about extra feet for my 6600, and he asked me if I'd heard about the new Horizon 7700.



I told him that I had, and that it looked super nice, but obviously I had just purchased my 6600.  At that point he told me that for the first year after I purchased my machine, I can get 100% of what I paid for it if I want to trade it in for an upgrade.

WHA-WHA-WHAT??

Why did I not know this?  How awesome! So now I'm supremely tempted by the new Horizon.  I checked it out in person while in the shop and I am very tempted by its extra throat space, the free arm, the extra stitches, and the fact that it comes with a clear extension table, and the extra free-motion feet I was thinking of buying for my machine...but I don't know.  I'm thinking about it.  It's a lot of money, even just paying the difference between what I paid for my machine and the price of this new one.

But there's also the issue that next week is the AQS show here in Knoxville, and there will be a show special on the machine at the show, at a significantly lower price than the regular price through the shop.  I can't get the trade in deal at the show, only buying at the regular price through the shop.  So then I thought, maybe I can just sell my machine outright, and even if I don't get all that I paid, I can probably get close, and then I can get the other machine at the show, and with what I'd make from selling my machine, I'd end up paying less of a difference in price than the trade in.  Assuming I could sell it.  Hmm, I don't know.  Anyone interested in buying my machine? Just kidding.  Maybe (not really). :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can understand your temptation! I got one of these last month and I just love all the extra space and the 5 lights make it so much easier to work later in the evening :)

I don't know if you've come across it, but there's a yahoo group dedicated to the 7700 and it was an interesting read when I was making a decision on whether or not to buy. Right now there's a lot of people having problems sewing bulky seams, so it might be worth getting more of a test drive before committing, if this is something you'd be doing lots of. I haven't done much piecing on mine yet so don't know if I'll end up with the same problem. Anyway, the group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JanomeHorizon7700/