Sunday, February 20, 2011

My next project

I have made tons of progress this week on different projects, and now I want to move onto something new!

First, to recap, I finally pieced a back for my Hunky Dory 9-patch quilt.  No picture right now, but hopefully soon once I get it basted and get to work on quilting.  It's the first time I've done a pieced back and it was so fun!

I also finished the back for this purple 9-patch baby quilt I've been working on. I think I've mentioned this quilt here before but haven't shown any pictures.

Purple Nine-Patch baby quilt

Purple baby quilt back

Now I've got to get to quilting on that one too!

The only backing I have yet to get ready is for my Bliss quilt.  I have some flannel for the backing and I honestly only need to cut the length of the yardage in two and then sew them together to make the backing, but I haven't done it yet.  Maybe later today I can get to that.

But in the meantime I've decided to start another quilt! I think I'm putting off all the basting and quilting for the others, to be honest, those parts are my least favorite of the whole process!

For this quilt, I decided to work with my Dream On charm packs that I've had in my stash for a while.  I've seen a few quilts on Flickr that paired up Dream On with Kona Ash, and I loved how it looked.  I'm not really into sashings in non-neutral colors (like pinks or yellows) for some reason, so the only other option I was considering for this line was white.  But I feel like these fabrics would fade into the white background too much, and you'd lose some of the definition of the prints.  So Ash it is!

Dream On quilt beginnings

Given that I have charm packs, I thought it would be fun and easy to just do a ton of half-square triangles, and then see what kind of pattern I can come up with.  Maybe a diamond radiating out from the center of the quilt?  I don't know yet, we'll see what they look like once I get them all made.

Right now I'm in the midst of marking all my squares.  Once that's done, I'm going to settle in for some serious chain-piecing!  I'm hoping to maybe get them all done today. Is that possible?  We'll see!

No comments: