Thursday, April 29, 2010

Actual quilting in progress!

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA yet again.  I just get so darn busy, that whole going to work, having a small child thing is definitely getting in the way of sewing and blogging. :)

But there has been a little bit of sewing going on!

First, I want to show the pictures of my swap item that I teased you all with last time.

For the last meeting of the Knoxville Modern Quilt Guild, we decided to swap a friendship bag.  We decided we'd use this tutorial from P.S. I Quilt for the basic idea and dimensions.  I decided to tweak the tutorial a little and add a band of solid fabric around the top and change the size of the fabric strips on the side.  I think it came out super cute!

Friendship bag swap

Friendship bag swap 2

Unfortunately I haven't yet taken any pictures of the bag I received, but trust me, it's super cute! I'll try to get some pictures soon.

I also finally decided on how I wanted to quilt my Perfect 10 quilt.  I had picked out a backing a while back (from Hobby Lobby), got it all basted a few weeks ago, but have been procrastinating because I couldn't decide what kind of quilting to do or what color thread to use given all the different colors in the top.

I finally this last weekend, after some trial and error, to use a clear thread for the top.  I tried white, and brown, and they both just stuck out too much on some of the fabric colors in the top.  The clear, while a pain in the butt to work with, looks the best.  I'm using a dark brown on the back.  In the pictures below you can see what I chose for backing, the dark brown with the simple floral in white.  I also decided to just do straight vertical lines for quilting.  I'm not confident enough yet in my stippling, especially to do a quilt this large (it's about 60"x70"), and I couldn't think of any other pattern that wouldn't fight with the design of the top.  As soon as I started quilting, I knew this was the perfect choice, as I LOVE how it's turning out! I can't wait until it's done.  Right now I'm a little over a quarter of the way through, and it's taking a while with that many lines close together.  But hopefully I can finish it up over the next week or two.

Perfect 10 quilting in progress

Perfect 10 quilting in progress 2

Now I've got to get back to it!

No comments: