Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side

Finally, I have a quilt that I can share for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival! I've been around and watched the past few festivals, but never had something to share at the time.

Finished! Purple baby quilt

The quilt that I am sharing is probably my favorite out of all the quilts I've ever made (not that there are that many, but I still love it!). I don't have a clever name for it, I just refer to it as the Purple Nine-patch Baby Quilt.

I was inspired to make this quilt by this one I found on Flickr. I just loved the gray and purple together, and wanted to use that color scheme and nine-patch style. Around the same time, I decided to make a baby quilt for a friend of mine who was expecting a baby. She and her husband are huge Lakers fans, and so I knew the purple (although technically, yes, it isn't Lakers purple) would be a perfect choice for their baby girl.

I collected purple fabrics for some time, picked out a handful that coordinated well, and paired it with some Kona Ash.

For the back, I did one large 5x5 square in the middle, again inspired by the style of the original inspiration quilt.

Finished! Purple baby quilt - back

I quilted it with an allover stipple, and once I washed and dried it, it crinkled up so wonderfully and was sooo soft and snuggly. It was so hard to send it away, but I just know its recipient will love it and get great use out of it.

Finished! Purple baby quilt -closeup

Also, after I shared the pictures of this quilt on Flickr, it was chosen to be shared on the Modern Day Quilts blog, which was great! I felt very flattered!

All in all, it was a super simple quilt to make, but I think the end result is just fabulous!

Thanks again for stopping by!

23 comments:

Jane said...

It's a perfect quilt to share! Really pretty!

Sara said...

Congrats on being invited to Modern Day Quilts,pretty purples!!

Little Island Quilting said...

Love the combination of purple and grey and it looks beautifully made

The Thompsons said...

It's adorable. I really like the colors and the back has a cute little twist to it.

Cecily said...

This quilt is beautiful! I love the colors and it is gorgeous - all the more so for the simple pattern. Lovely!

Cathy said...

Lovely!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Very charming quilt

ladybugquilting said...

I loved this the first time I saw it and I still love it this time!
Great Job.

Jolanda said...

Lovely pinky quilt! Beautiful!

Marit said...

Jennifer, your quilt is lovely!
; )

Martine Kuciel said...

l'envers du quilt est aussi réussi que l'endroit félicitations

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is scrumptious! I love the color combination so much. Inspiring!!!

Quiltin Jenny said...

Simply lovely. What a lucky baby!

Jeannette Bruce said...

Wow, I love this and I love your blog! I'm following you now...

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

very pretty, I love it!
I have some pretty charm squares that might be destined for this !!

stitchinpenny said...

Sometimes I just don't know how to express the wonder I feel at seeing fabrics combined in a very simple pattern that become so very much more. now is one of those times for me.

Melinda said...

Ooh! I love it and the colors are great.

Debbie said...

oh, that is just a darling quilt in every way! I love it!

BJ said...

Your fabric mix is lovely. I just love making simple, quick baby quilts like this. Great quilt.

Kirsten said...

Love these colours together - beautiful quilt!!

Karen said...

It's a great quilt. The purples work so well with the ash. The 9 patch is a perfect design for this fabric. This is a lovely baby quilt. What a wonderful gift!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

It's so pretty.

Eileen said...

Lovely little quilt. Great pattern and fabrics. Thankscfor sharing and have a great day