Saturday, April 23, 2011

A little non-quilty sewing

Yesterday and today I've had several glorious hours of alone time.  My husband's at work, and my daughter is off with grandma, who is in town visiting, at my sister's house.  I decided to put my time to good use and make a few things I've been wanting to make, but haven't had enough time to set aside to make them.

Both patterns I made are from Keyka Lou Patterns.  She has some amazing, super cute patterns, and I finally bought a few this past week while she was having an anniversary sale.

The first one I tried was the Ditty Bag pattern.  I made the medium size.  The pattern was very well written.  It turned out very cute, although I did mess up a little.  When I attached the back of the bag to the front pieces, I put it together upside down.  You'll see that the hanging tag should be at the same end of the bag as the zipper pull, when the zipper is closed.  Instead, it's the opposite.  Oops.  And that's why the flowers are upside down, they should be facing the other way.  But that's okay.  It's still cute and functional, and so I'm going to leave it as is.  A good reason to make a few more in the other sizes!

Ditty Bag

DSC_3873

Ditty Bag

The next pattern I made was the Laptop Sleeve.  I made this with the intention of modifying its size to make it smaller to fit my new iPad.  I used the instructions referenced for how to modify the size, but again, I screwed up somewhere! :)  But I was able to eventually make it work.  Although in these pictures, the velcro is in the wrong spot. I need to move the bottom pieces down a few inches so the flap attaches lower (in the spot it's in in the pictures where it's closed).  But that should be fairly easy and then it should fit fairly well.  Just a hair too big, but that's okay.  Again, the pattern itself was awesome, it was just my lack of spatial understanding that prevented me from being able to change the dimensions.  Overall, it turned out great, and I am super happy to have a cute new bag for my iPad.  Plus, it uses some of my most favorite fabrics, especially the Alexander Henry Farmdale blossom, so I am really happy with it.

iPad pouch

iPad pouch

iPad pouch

iPad pouch

I have to say that I would highly, highly recommend these patterns.  Very thorough and easy to follow.  I have one more I'm going to try today (the Inset Zipper clutch and pouch) and I will most definitely try others in the future.

2 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I just bought the ditty bag pattern... it's so cute! :) Great ipad case too.

Jeannette Bruce said...

I love that first fabric so so much. Can I ask you what it is so I can see if I can get some? I've seen it in people's photos, but haven't been able to figure out what it is!!