Saturday, January 9, 2010

Update and Goals

I am still working diligently on the Pinwheel Baby Quilt.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to show!  But as I mentioned last time (I think?) I got the quilt all basted and ready for quilting.  It took me several days to get the quilting done, and it looks great!  I did end up using the multi-colored Sulky thread, and quilting on the diagonal.  It was tricky because of the prairie points, I basically had to do the inside lines first, then do all the lines outside the points, making it look as if they are continuous.  This resulted in gaps in the stitching on the backside of the quilt, between where I stopped and started, but there wasn't much I could do about that given the quilting pattern I used.  This will all be much clearer when I finally have some pictures!

I also cut and machine sewed the binding to the front, and I'm in the process of hand sewing the binding down on the back.  It seems like it's taking forever, especially as I don't have much time to do it.  I brought it down with me today so that I could do it while relaxing on the couch, watching TV, but of course my daughter decided that she couldn't play with her toys or sit in her chair, she had to sit ON TOP of me, so not much got done.  I'm hoping I can make some good progress tonight once she goes to bed!

Since I don't have any pictures to share of my project, I thought I'd use this post to share some of my crafting goals for 2010.  I saw a post like this on another blog I visit (can't remember which one now!) and I thought it was a good idea.  So here it is:  my list of things I hope to accomplish in 2010.

1.  Frolic Quilt



I've been collecting fabric for this, and I really would like to get started on it soon. I just know it is going to take me FOREVER. I have hopes that I could have this finished before next Christmas, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.  But I do want to get started.  I did find this neat tip over at Alison's (Within a Quarter Inch) site that may help me with the applique, so maybe that will speed things up.

2.  Roundabout Quilt

I just love the Roundabout Quilt from Amy at A Commonplace Life.  I would like to try her tutorial to make one.  Maybe with my Flea Market Fancy fabrics?  I've got a new stack of Katie Jump Rope fat quarters too (I need to post about those...), maybe I'll throw them all in together for one super happy quilt.

3.  Stacked Coins Baby Quilt

I would also like to make the Stacked Coins Baby Quilt from the Moda Bake Shop.  I bought a jelly roll specifically for this (Aviary by 3 Sisters), and it's been sitting and waiting ever since.  It seems fairly simple and I am hoping this is one I could complete pretty quickly.

4.  ZigZag Quilt

I have been planning in my mind a zigzag style quilt, like this one from the Purl Bee.  I've been buying various pink and green fabrics for this, imagining one with pink, green, and white rows of zigzags.

5.  Dresden Plate

I have a Happy Campers jelly roll and charm pack waiting specifically to be made into a dresden plate quilt.  This was probably the first project I wanted to make once I decided to try my hand at quilting. I knew it was probably a good idea to get some other basics under my belt first, and so I haven't started yet, but I think I'm at the point now that I could try!


There are many others that I'd like to try as well (probably some that I'll start before these!) but I'm putting these down as goals for this year.  And when I say goals, I mean that loosely.  I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't get to it, or do other things first. :)  I don't have a lot of spare time and so I may be overly ambitious, but that's okay!

All right, almost time for the little one to get in bed, so I'll be able to get back to that binding...hopefully I'll be back soon with some pictures of a finished quilt!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

these are awesome quilt goals! i would love to make a zig zag and a coin quilt this year. and that roundabout quilt is amazing. scary and amazing. good luck with all your goals

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your goals! I did a stacked coins quilt last year and you're right - it did come together quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pinwheel quilt pics!